When you have a diet mentality, there are a lot of things that can take away from you feeling positive about yourself. Remember those days you didn’t follow “the plan” and you felt that you had failed? Feeling like you needed to hide to eat something you wanted to eat because that would make it less of a disgrace to your “diet,” or feeling pressure to order food you don’t even want because the people around you know you’re dieting and you can’t let them see you “cheat.” Not to mention the only way of evaluating yourself on a diet is by weighing yourself, which as you know, is not a true testament to success in a healthy lifestyle.
The beauty of intuitive eating is it opens up a world that wants you to feel good about yourself. If you have been progressing on a mindful eating journey, now is a great time to step back and look at all the positive progress you have made. I want you to evaluate where you are at in the following:
- Have you been able to look in the mirror and start finding more things that you like about yourself?
- Do you find yourself eating foods you previously deemed “evil” and being able to enjoy them?
- Have you tuned out negative self-talk and started to focus on positive aspects of the lifestyle you are living?
- Have you asked your loved ones around you for their support in this healthy journey?
- Is your scale collecting dust in your home somewhere because it is no longer a symbol of success in your mind?
- Are you exercising because of how it makes you feel rather than to negate calories?
- Are you stopping when you’re full and eating when you’re hungry?
If you said yes to any of these questions then you should feel proud. These are huge hurdles to jump over when overcoming the diet mentality and to clear any of them is a great accomplishment. The more of these questions you can answer as “yes,” the better you will continue to feel about your healthy lifestyle and your relationship with the food you eat.
Your turn to take action: How do you feel about your intuitive eating progress so far?